A few videos ago, we talked about connections and how important they are to life. We talked about how we are actually wired for connection. Simply put, it’s part of our DNA.
I recently finished reading a book by Dr. Henry Cloud called the Power of the Other. A book I highly recommend by the way. Throughout the book, we learn how important it is for us to have the right relationships.
I have also been reviewing “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill. It’s interesting to read both at the same time because in parts, they say very similar things but were written in different eras. Hill’s book is set in the culture of the 1930s and Cloud’s is copyright 2016. About 80 years apart. The principles are similar but the language describing them is quite different.
Henry Talks about the need for others in our life and Napoleon calls them your Mastermind. In fact, when he describes the importance of Persistence in our life, the 4th step is to ‘Have a friendly alliance with one or more persons who will encourage one to follow through with both plan and purpose.”
Both Authors clearly give a strong indication our success is not likely to happen without help from others.
I don’t know about you but if it is that important, I want to make sure I have the right people in my corner!
Fortunately, Dr. Cloud gives us a list of 5 crucial ingredients to look for when investing in these types of relationships.
5 Crucial Ingredients When Investing
- Understanding – We are more likely going to have trust for someone who ‘Gets Me’.
- Intent and Motive – Will they have my best interests at heart
- Ability – Are they able to help where I need the help? It is nice if someone is willing but if they aren’t able then they shouldn’t be a part of my Inner Circle
- Character – Sure it is important to have people of Character in my life but I also want to make sure they’re make up works for the circumstance. Some traits I need to be aware of would be are they
- Too Hard
- Too Soft
- I’m sure there are more but what it comes down to is how well suited are they for the role I need them to fill
- Track Record – Have they treated me right in the past or did they fail to have my best interest at heart.
Having been a realtor for… Let’s just say a long time, I realized these traits are what clients should be looking for in who they have represent them in their transactions.
So my next video might just be titled The 5 Crucial Ingredients of a Successful Realtor.
What do you think?
I was also thinking some might be interested in creating a mastermind group just to talk more about the importance of Others in our lives and finding the right people. If this is something you would be interested in, I would be happy to facilitate an online ZOOM Classroom discussion. Just send me a quick message and I will send you more details on what would be involved.
That’s my Donners Thought for today. Have a great one!